Suffrage: the right to vote, especially in a political election.
Suffragist: an advocate of the grant or extension of political suffrage, especially to women.
The Suffrage Coalition is a 501c(3) nonprofit group and a special project of the East Tennessee Foundation. The mission of the Suffrage Coalition is to “locate, preserve, and educate regarding the history of women’s suffrage, especially in the state of Tennessee…”
Board of Directors
Wanda Sobieski, President
Betty Reddick, Vice President
Susanne Dalton Dupes, Secretary
Jennifer Ward, Treasurer
Current Coalition Activities
- Provide slide shows, living timelines, plays, and other materials to raise awareness by bringing this history to life for schools and groups across the state of Tennessee.
- Encourage members and groups to celebrate this history.
- Created and are fundraising to install a Burn Memorial honoring Febb and Harry Burn, the mother and son behind Tennessee’s successful and historic ratification vote.
- Preserve memorabilia, papers and oral histories.
- Established the Tennessee Woman Suffrage Memorial on Market Square
- Provided funds for the digitization of suffrage documents in the McClung Collection
- Harry Burn’s suffrage papers
- Lizzie Crozier French’s scrapbook
- Abby Milton’s (Chattanooga Suffragist) papers
- Sponsored events and re-enactments honoring the history of woman’s suffrage campaign, including a re-enactment of the Seneca Falls Convention
- It is our dream to establish a woman suffrage museum in Knoxville.